[Rhodes22-list] BVI Charter

Dana realnamen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 12:10:18 EST 2008

I chartered a 3800 from Footloose in the BVI a few years ago.  It amounted to a fantastic floating RV in paradise, but as a sailboat, it left a lot to be desired.  It would reach OK, but pointing or getting the bow through the wind was nearly impossible.  One of the bigger R&C cats is a similar design and suffers from similar problems, but I can't remember which one  (4500?).

The 3800 can still be chartered, and it can be had cheap since it's status as a dog is now well known.  If you want a good deal and don't mind a floating RV in paradise, go for the 3800.

On my next charter, I'm going for the 4000 or 4600.  The raised helm has every sheet at your fingertips, and there is a very nice pass through from the galley to the helm (cold drinks for the captain :>)

Rob, if you've chartered a 41 before, Moorings will probably let you take out anything they have.  They are not in the business of turning down business.  If they can squeak you past whatever guidelines their insurance company has setup, believe me, they will.

-Dana