[Rhodes22-list] 2nd sailing reply to Andrew...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Nov 12 20:00:31 EST 2008

Andrew,

The best information that I could find shows that O'Day made just less than
90 of the 26's.  They were made from 1984 until sometime in 1986.  Some data
shows they were made until 1988, but I have not seen any serial #'s after
1986.

I have seen a couple of 26’s for sale.  There was a real nice one that went
on the market in this area last spring.  It was in very good shape and had
an internal engine.  It was advertized for about two weeks, was sold and
moved to Ohio.

There are lots of O'Day 25 for sale.  Saw one for free, just come and get
it.

Keep in mind that O'Day sailboat production essentially ceased in USA in
1986.  There was a successor company that made some models until 1988 or
early 1989, and then it went under.  There is O'Day Japan which has rights
to several models and as far as I know still makes boats.

I have seen two other O'Day 26's.  Most boats of these two groups will be
project boats or have been project boats.  These two models have some issues
that have caused interior deterioration and often need to replace bulkheads.
Just ask Herb.

There are three O’Day 25’s at my marina.  One is undergoing repair/rebuild
of interior bulkheads.  One is a complete wreck and not worth looking at.
The other is floating two slips from where my boat was.  The current owner
inherited it about two years ago.  It has been in the slip for the last 8
years with no serious maintenance.  From what I now know, without looking at
what might be needed inside, I would suggest it would require a complete
bottom rebuild.  I know the sails are in very bad condition since the sail
cover deteriorated several years ago.

In the process of rebuilding my project boat, I became aware of two other
guys doing what I was doing.  Understand that rebuilding one of these boats
is a major project.  I did mine after I was retired.

There may be a couple in good condition where the owners maintained them.
Some come on the market occasionally and usually fetch an appropriate price.

You might ask Michael Meltzer about his boat.  He has a Seaward 26.  He had
to move up to a bigger boat because of three growing daughters.

As to the idea of boom furling, I have considered, studied and thought about
it.  There are problems with boom furling. The special shape of the sail on
this boat would be problematic.

There are several members of this forum that have Stan’s furling boom.  He
made them before he perfected his IMF.  So, Stan should be considered the
Oracle of Sail Systems.  And we can only guess what he is dreaming up next.

Again, this boats boom sets it apart from most sailboats.  The boom is what
it is because of the desire to make a boat with lots of sail area on a
stubby keel boat.  Boats billed as tall rigs usually have deep keels to get
sail area.

If you want to get into the boat building business, Stan has a prototype 27
foot hull that he wants investors to develop.  If you have a couple of
hundred thousand dollars to invest, Stan wants you.  There are significant
differences between the O’Day 26 design and Stan’s 27.

See attached picture of Stan’s Hampton Rhodes 27.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p20472826/03.jpg 03.jpg

Ed K