[Rhodes22-list] Special Tribute to Brad Haslett {about America, you can call what you want}

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Nov 14 13:16:26 EST 2008

Now there's a guy that very well articulates my thoughts.

My personal belief is that anyone that receives over 50% of their income
directly from the government should be disenfranchised. They have a
conflict of interest.

Robert A Heinlein proposed a similar restriction in his
political/science fiction novel Starship Troopers. In his "would be"
world, only those that had served in the military in one fashion or
another were eligible to vote. You had to sever in SOME fashion, which
was the one indicator that you were willing to sacrifice your personal
needs/desires/aspirations to benefit society as a whole. Ironically, in
his book, those IN the military were not eligible to vote. Only after
you finished your tour(s) of duty were you enfranchised.

I'm not quite that extreme, but I say if you're making your living
directly from the government, you have an predisposition to expand their
ability to "give", and thus have a conflict of interest.

Since I've mentioned, I'll also say that Heinlein has a quote that would
be VERY applicable here:

=====
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist,
fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria.
The human race divides politically into those who want people to be
controlled and those who have no such desire.
=====

--
Herb Parsons