[Rhodes22-list] Slim..or anyone....who knows

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 16:47:29 EST 2008

Elle,

What I know about drum circles is that they've been around for
centuries.  Mostly used in some kind of ceremony.  Native Americans do
it at pow wows as well as pre-hunting trips, harvest, planting, going
to battle, etc.  There is also something called a "gathering drum"
where people sit around a single large drum and play together.  There
are many types.  They have become more popular among local groups used
as community-building and even therapy.  You can probably find a drum
circle in your area that you could join.  They're fun.  I've used
these in elementary music classes to help teach ensemble,
team-building and cooperative learning.  You might look at this link
for starters:

http://www.geocities.com/talkingdrumpub/drummingcircles.html

There are many more places to look if you google "drum circles."

Hand drumming is just that--playing drums without sticks or mallets.
Everything from bongo drums to the conga drums to the tabla are played
with the bare hands.  And again, many of the drum circles use
hand-played drums of various types.

Not sure what you're looking for here but if I can help any more let me know.

Slim