[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Long Island Sound

Tom Hogarty tjhogarty at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:14:50 EST 2008

I reviewed much of the archives related to motors and went shopping
yesterday.  The Yamaha high thrust 9.9 and 8 are very similar in weight and
not tooooo much in price, so I was leaning to the 9.9.  I wanted the
electric start which is available on both.  I asked how to start these if
the battery was dead and learned there is a real difference between them.
The 8 hp model is ready to go manual with the rope installed, however, the
9.9 requires the cowling to be removed and roped wrapped before you can
start manually.  I've been burned before with electrical problems and went
with the belt and suspenders 8 hp.

Tom