[Rhodes22-list] Herb, a question

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Nov 19 17:12:25 EST 2008

I was actually approached about 6 years ago to run against our Mayor.
Even one of the city councilmen that supported him told me I should
consider running for city council.

Many years ago, my middle daughter was injured by my wife. I had no idea
of the injury until after it happened. We were both charged.The charges
against me were dropped, and she worked out a plea arrangement. Though
we've long been divorced, and I won custody of the kids, there's no
doubt in my mind how the "politicking" would play on that one. It's
takes less time to say "He was charged with felony injury to a child"
than it does to say "Charges against me were dropped, the guilty party
was charged, and I eventually got custody of the kids." Plus the first
comment makes for a juicier story. People are animals when it comes to
politics. Ask Joe the plumber.

When the city councilman asked me about running, I told him the story.
He talked about how long ago it was, and that it wouldn't matter
anymore. I looked him in the eye and said "c'mon now, are you going to
tell me that the people that financed yours and his campaigns wouldn't
try to use that against me?" He thought a minute, smiled, and said
"Yeah, you're right".

Besides, it's much more fun stirring things up in the background. We
almost got our lady elected mayor. She was a total newcomer to politics,
and our mayor had held the office for 2 (very long) terms, and city
councilman for 2 terms before that, but he beat her by a mere 160 votes.

We DID get two council members seated. Then, the money guys came back
strong the next election, and kicked us back to where they thought we
belong. These things run in cycles, and I'm the type that never looses hope.

--
Herb Parsons