[Rhodes22-list] Brad's Roof...

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 09:28:45 EST 2008

Ed,
Installing a "green" roof is not as simple or inexpensive as you make it
sound. There are many large corporations that are installing green roofs and all
are extolling their benefits, but as a roofing professional, I can tell you
that  the nightmares these systems cause and or will cause down the road are
not worth  the effort. Plant roots by nature are highly invasive and can
penetrate most  roofing materials used today. Installing a "green" roof requires many
layers of  materials including those for proper drainage.
A simple solution which is currently mandated in CA and a few other states
is to apply white roofing materials (Cool Roofs) which can reflect as much as
88% of the suns energy. These are the most common roofing systems that I tell
my  customers to install.
The days of black roofing systems are just about over for flat roofs. Some
areas are now experimenting with cool shingle roofing systems. Knowing that not
 everyone wants to have a white shingled roof in this country, manufacturers
are  working to create shingles that will reflect the UV bands that create
heat in  roofing systems. In many Mediterranean countries, white roofs are all
that you  see. Apparently they know something that we should have figured out
years  ago.

Rummy