[Rhodes22-list] Andrew, a special comment on your post... (non sailing)(somewhat political)

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Nov 23 10:35:25 EST 2008

Andrew,

You said that I should put in a good word with the Polish government for
your contract.  The problem is that when my grandparents left Eastern Europe
there was no Poland.  One side came here on Austrian passports and the other
on Russian passports that indicated what is today Lithuania.  The surname
came from Vilnius, Lithuania.  So best you try for a contract with the
Lithuanians.  Even after the Russian repatriations there are apparently some
with the original surname in the area.

What is interesting about surnames is that there were variations for
whatever language was in power and use.  When my grandfather registered for
the draft for World War One, he spelt his name two ways on the document and
his brother, who was next in line spelt it a third way.  Why would this
happen?  Because he spoke and wrote all the languages in use in Vilnius at
the time:  Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, German, Byelorussian, Ukrainian, and
who knows how many more.  I do not think that he spoke English until he got
here, but?

I encourage you to sit down and make a business plan that allows you to
exist without credit.  You need the challenge.  More importantly, you have
to do it.

I was asked by a European Business person to access the impact of our
economic situation.  I replied that do not expect much resolution in the
next 3 or 4 months.  I further told him to plan to exist under current or
worsening economic conditions for the next 3, 4 or 6 years.

I am sorry but Obama cannot wave a magic wand.  The damage to the credit
industry has been done.  It will take years to recover.  Thank Congress for
using the credit industry to achieve social goals and not equally demanding
oversight and controls.

This guy that I commented to does business in Germany and Eastern Europe.  I
suggested he make great efforts to find many small local projects, loss of
any of which would not destroy his business.  For the next couple of years
the object will be survival.

I would say good luck, but it will take more than luck.

Ed K