[Rhodes22-list] Slim's response - non sailing, religious, etc.

Robert Skinner Robert at SquirrelHaven.com
Tue Nov 25 14:33:24 EST 2008

Herb Parsons wrote:
> And Robert,
>
> What constitutes "telling them what to believe". If you, or someone
> else, tells me my beliefs are myths, or are kooky, or extreme, or
> whatever, are you imposing YOUR beliefs system on me?

I did not say or imply that, Herb.

I do have a problem with the Spanish Inquisition,
Puritan witch burnings, and the like, but I don't
think you would have any part in such a travesty.

The term "myth" need not be pejorative - many
scholarly texts that embrace the core tenets of
Christianity use the word in relation to belief
structures that have grown up in close association
with Christian practice.  Snake handling comes to
mind.  We would probably agree that that practice
is extreme.  Others certainly would not.  I tend
to stay away from those bars.

"Kook" does have a "let's fight" flavor about it.
But "sticks and stones..."  There is no need to
pick up the thrown gauntlet if your own belief is
strong.

One man's myth is another man's core belief.  That's
cool as long as we don't get the weapons out.  Wars
over words are one of mankind's less admirable traits.

Pax,
/Robert