[Rhodes22-list] Breaking News : Somali Pirates in Discussions to Acquire Citigroup

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Nov 29 08:40:09 EST 2008

Breaking News : Somali Pirates in Discussions to Acquire Citigroup
By Andreas Hippin

   November 28 (Bloomberg) -- Somali Pirates, renegade Somalis known for
hijacking ships for ransom in the Gulf of Aden, are negotiating the
purchase of Citigroup.

  The pirates would buy Citigroup with new debt and their existing cash
stockpiles, earned most recently from hijacking numerous ships,
including a $200 million Saudi Arabian oil tanker. The Somali pirates
are offering up to $0.10 per share for Citigroup, pirate spokesman
Sugule Ali said earlier today. The negotiations have entered the final
stage, Ali said.  ``You may not like our price, but we are not in the
business of paying for things. Be happy we are in the mood to offer the
shareholders anything."

   The pirates will finance part of the purchase by selling new Pirate
Ransom Backed Securities.  The PRBS's are backed by the cash flows from
future ransom payments from hijackings in the Gulf of Aden.  Moody's and
S&P have already issued their top investment grade ratings for the PRBS's.

    Head pirate, Ubu Kalid Shandu , said "we need a bank so that we have
a place to keep our ransom money.  Thankfully, the dislocations in the
capital markets has allowed us to purchase Citigroup at an attractive
valuation and to take advantage of TARP capital to grow the business at
an even faster rate."

Shandu added, "We don't call ourselves pirates. We are coastguards and
this will just allow us to guard our coasts better."