[Rhodes22-list] Breaking News : Somali Pirates in Discussions to Acquire Citigroup

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 09:17:51 EST 2008

Bill,

Let's give the pirates a shot, they couldn't do any worse.  What's
that German word for "things will improve once we elect 'The One"?  Oh
yeah, 'hopenchangen'.  Attached is what the Germans have in mind.

Brad

-------------

11/25/2008 04:56 PM
A NEW WAR ON PIRACY?
Germany to Deploy Up to 1,400 to Fight Pirates

The uproar over pirates off the Gulf of Aden has led the German
government to contribute a naval frigate to an EU mission along the
Somali coast. More soldiers may be on the way. In the meantime German
helicopters have defended a pair of merchant ships from pirate
speedboats.

As European enthusiasm for the American-led "War on Terror" continues
to wane, Europe is assembling a substantial military force to send to
the Gulf of Aden. Call it the "War on Piracy" -- and Germany, this
time, has not been shy.

Although the German Defense Ministry refuses to confirm the number, a
report on Tuesday in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung says that the
government is considering deploying up to 1400 troops to combat Somali
piracy. By way of comparison, Berlin currently contributes about 3,500
troops to the war in Afghanistan.

The government has already announced its intention to send a frigate
to region as part of the EU mission "Operation Atalanta," which is set
to deploy sometime in mid-December. First, however, Germany's
parliament may have to expand the country's legal mandate for the use
of force, which some believe does not currently allow for an
aggressive anti-pirate mission.

In addition to the 500 sailors who would staff the frigate, the
government may also send troops to serve as security forces on German
trade vessels.

According to the East African Seafarers' Assistance Program, Somali
pirates hijacked yet another ship over the weekend, this time a Yemeni
freighter called the Amani.

And on Sunday afternoon, the German navy received emergency calls from
a pair of German merchant ships indicating they were being attacked by
pirates in speedboats. In response, the German frigate
Mecklenberg-Vorpommern sent naval helicopters to scene, after which
the pirates reportedly fled.

Somali pirates are thought to be in possession of a dozen ships and
over two hundred captured sailors. Among the captured vessels is a
Saudi Arabian tanker called the Sirius Star, which the pirates are
trying to ransom to the tune of $15 million (€11.6 million). This
represents a discount from their original demand of $25 million.

cpg -- with wire reports

    * http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,592647,00.html