[Rhodes22-list] Stan Spitzer a question about Capt Rich's Columbian 22

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Sep 1 18:03:38 EDT 2008

Stan:

Is there another knock off or did you also make a Columbian 22?  We recall
the story of the Sailmaster.  Was there a Columbian 22 or was it discretely
made in Columbia?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19261314/McCain%2527s_image.gif
McCain%27s_image.gif

It does say columbian.  We also looked at the pictures in detain of the
Rhodes 22 and it is a Rhodes 22.  The columbian name is attached to each
side of the cabin.

We finally figured out the mainsheet block.  We ran a v line from one side
of the boat to the other.  This lifts up above the tiller.  The mainsheet is
attached to that.  I cannot believe the room on this boat.  Such a wide and
roomy cockpit for a 22.

The flange hull also kept us dry yeasterday in 18kts wind with full main and
jib up.  We were flying!

Rich

Captain Rich:

You can post pictures to this site using small jpg files.  Use a digital
camera to take some pictures.  Some members of this forum have older boats.

You say it says 'columbian' on the side of the cabin.  Could that be faded
and say 'continental'?  Otherwise I suspect that you have a Columbia 22
which would not be a rhodes 22.  However, with pictures we still might be
able to offer advice and help.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

My nephew just got a Rodes 22.  It says columbian on the side of the cabin.
We are having two problems and was hoping someone could help.

1.  We cab't figure out how to secure the mainsheet block system.  Most
boats have a traveler either on the cabin or in the cockpit.  This has only
a pully on each side of the stern.  Can't seem to figure this out.  There is
nothing to hold down the mainsheet from the end of the boom.

2.  When we were just drifting with no wind, the centerboard was banging.
That can't be healthy for the keel or the boat.  Has anyone encountered this
before?

Thank you for whatever help you can give us.

Richard