[Rhodes22-list] Eric and Motor size for the Rhodes 22 (Get good PFD and Locator Device

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Sep 2 09:50:50 EDT 2008

Eric:

If you want a power boat, a.k.a. stinkpot, then get one.  However, when
dealing with a small sailboat there are other things to understand before
you hang a large motor off the transom.

The Rhodes 22 transom is neither designed nor made for a 25 H.P motor.  A 25
H.P. motor will apply too much torque to the motor mount and the structure
of the transom.

Yes you may have been physically able to do it and it worked for a short
time.  However, the structure just might fail after some fatique to the
fiberglass and attaching points.  Consider that it might fail in a storm in
the sound?

If you want to hang a 25 H.P. motor from a Rhodes 22 sailboat then you need
to rebuild and reinforce the transom substantially.  You would have to
reinforce the whole transom and adjoining hull walls to handle the fatigue
and stress you are causing.  That would be a lot of glass work and sealed
plywood to create the stucture able to routinely handle that stress and
torque.

Stop and imagine the transom falling off in the middle of the sound with the
motor visiting Davy Jones.

Yes they put big motors on current MacGregor 26's.  The transom and boat are
designed to handle those things.  Mac 26's are really Motor Boats with sails
as accessories.

If you go out again with this combination, have a good PFD with GPS Locator
so they can find you.  See page 33 of current West Marine Cat.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA