[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Lights

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Sep 2 10:14:39 EDT 2008

At 08:51 PM 9/1/2008 -0400, Daniel Johnson wrote:
>My Rhodes 22 has a masthead light for operating under power at night, but no
>anchor light.  Any ideas for one that doesn't require taking the mast down?
>
>I'm thinking I could hoist some acceptable LED or other anchor light up to
>one of the spreaders, but don't know how to get one to the top of the mast
>unless we drop the mast - and I'm not sure there is power up to the top
>anyway - just the VHF antenna.

I bought one of these -
http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=03300

However, I didn't use the provided hanger.  Instead, I inserted a
stainless eye screw into the top of the lens.  I attach that to the
main halyard an hoist it aloft as far as the cord allows (about 12'
above cabin top on my boat).  That's plenty for my lake cruising and
it draws so little current you can just leave it on when anchored for
more than one night.  The photo sensor turns it on and off automatically.

Shop around online and you can find it for less than $40.

Cheers!

John Lock