[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Sep 2 10:45:21 EDT 2008

Cowie,

I single hand almost all the time, and have found strapping-on too
restrictive.  I do wear an inflatable life vest all the time, though.

The Rhodes cockpit is a very protective environment.  I don't leave it
when single handing unless I first drop an anchor.

Jacklines degrade in the sun and snap when sudden sharp loads are placed
on them.  If your clip on straps are long enough for you to hit the
water in your harness (and it is almost impossible to keep this from
happening unless you clip on on both sides of the boat all the time) you
will drown as your boat drags you through the water.

You are buying a truly remarkable boat.  Many of the things you read
from people who don't own R-22s don't apply to you and your boat.

Bill Effros