[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Sep 2 16:32:55 EDT 2008

Cowie,

I agree with Bill.

I always wear a PFD when sailing alone; when sailing with someone who I
don't believe has the skills to save me; or when sailing with my wife
who may not have the inclination to save me.

I own jacklines and have tied myself to the boat in perilous danger, but
it's dang hard to fall out of the cockpit in any circumstances.  Having
said that, yesterday a huge wave hit me broadside and the soles of my
feet left the sole of the cockpit.  I fell and spilt my beer but did not
fall completely overboard.  If you remain seated I would think it would
be impossible to fall overboard.

As for going forward, there's a scary place between the outer shrouds
and the headsail, but you can always low-crawl our scoot on your butt if
you feel you need to rein-act the bow scene from the Titanic.  Yes, I've
played the king of the world.

Purchase a top-of-the-line tether and keep it with your top-of-the-line
flares, horn, fire extinguisher, etc.  You'll probably never use it but
it will be well worth the peace of mind.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD