[Rhodes22-list] Hoist one with the guys

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Sep 4 00:23:39 EDT 2008

1. Probably lots of reasons, but the biggest that come to mind:
 Both are considered "recreational activities". Folks that drink tend to
combine drinking with all their recreational activities

2. I don't drink at all on my boat. I tell everyone that gets on my boat
that while underway on a boat that size, everyone on the boat is a crew
member, and I don't allow crewmembers to drink while we're underway. If
they bring drinks anyway, I tell them their welcome to it when we're docked.

3. My kids are all grown, but they never were on the boat without me.
They're all grown now, and I would allow them to take the boat out, but
it would be consistent with the rule above. I believe they would all
respect that (even though all of them drink to one degree or another).

4. I'd tend to believe power boaters, but that's probably just a
prejudiced guess. I say that because I do believe, generally speaking,
sailors understand what they're doing better than power boaters, and
thus are probably more responsible.

5. See #2 above.

6. I'd say minor risks, but still some risks. Keep in mind, "underway"
does not include idling, drifting, motor-sailing, etc. It means anchored
or tied to a dock.