[Rhodes22-list] Cowie: this just in:

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 21:15:37 EDT 2008

Cowie,

Here is the text of an alert I just rec'd from B/US...Click on the attachment to see the full page:

elle

While it is possible that Hanna won't be a hurricane by the time it reaches the Chesapeake Bay sometime on Saturday, wind, surge and especially rain will still have the potential to cause widespread damage. BoatUS would like to prepare you with a few tips to make sure your boat will still be ready to go when the skies clear on Sunday.

Lift Collapse from Hurricane Isabel
Boats stored on lifts during Hurricane Isabel and Tropical Storm Ernesto proved to be especially vulnerable to the combined effect of wind, rain and surge. If the drain plug was left in, rain added considerable weight and the lift sometimes collapsed. If the drain plug was left out, the boat was flooded by Isabel's extraordinary surge. With Hanna, the best solution would be take the boat off the lift and out of the water, and store it ashore on a trailer.

Boats in slips should have extra lines and fenders. Remove biminis, sails, and dodgers.

Small, open boats and boats with low freeboard should be taken out of the water and put on trailers.

With any boat, in the water or stored ashore: make sure that scuppers are free of debris.
For more information on how to prepare your boat for a major storm, be sure to visit the BoatUS Hurricane Resource website, where you'll find step-by-step guides on how to effectively and efficiently prepare for a Hurricane.
BoatUS hopes you and your family stay safe throughout the storm.

Note: forwarded message attached.