[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Sep 8 10:56:13 EDT 2008

Michael,
I would suggest that is normal sailing on a Rhodes 22.  Gusts happen.
And you still had 6 inches of free board.  Wait until water starts
slipping over the gunnel :)  But your point about how the admiral would
react is well taken.  Mine had to get used to the idea that sailboats do
heel in gusts.  The first year we had the boat she would almost panic
when we heeled over.  Now she's mostly used to it.  Sometimes things fly
around the boat.  I dumped both dogs and the seat cushions onto the
cockpit floor yesterday.  Oops.  Have confidence in your boat.  Now,
that being said, there are things you can do to minimize the effects.
I, like Lou, will dump the main if needed, but that's going to roll the
boat in the other direction and drop all your forward momentum which
might be as unsettling as heeling over for a bit.  Best to ease the main
and head up if you can.  During heavy gusts, on-course can give way to
sailing flat.  Shoot, out of the lake yesterday, there was no on-course.
I think the wind came from a sector about 100 degree wide, so we just go
where the wind wants to blow us.   Mostly, I watch for gusts.  I lake
sail and can usually see the gusts coming across the lake towards me and
even warn my crew they are coming.  But your crew will have to know and
get used to the they are on a sail boat and sail boats heel and that the
captain knows what s/he's doing and can respond as needed.  Good luck. -
rob