[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

MichaelT mticse at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 11:50:03 EDT 2008

My point in this thread is how other Rhodies deal w/ gusts considering
potential passengers/wives on board. Mind you in earlier posts I have now
taken advantage early reefing & infinite reef points of our IMF and learning
that a flat boat is a good thing, as opposed to the testoterone filled
heeling at 25 degrees w/ water coming over the gunnels which I early summer
(which I still love!)

This is my 1st real year of sailing. The Rhodes my first sailboat.

I'm just wondering the adjustments people make during gusts and what order.
Do you stay on course and manage a heavy tiller? Head into the wind. Let out
the main sail. Reef and how much at a time?

Our mainsail was full and our jib at 2/3 out (jib clew is touching the
outer-middle stay) and really only had several gusts, maintained course, had
a heavy tiller, 98% of the time we happy sailing! On outing w/ my wife and
kids. Our main sail would center right on the R logo (approx 2/3's sail) w/
the jib about where the forward stay is and we're able to keep heeling at a
minimum.

Michael