[Rhodes22-list] Topping Lift & Rudder Adjustments

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Sep 9 08:18:57 EDT 2008

Caesar,

"I understand correct deployment to mean down beyond vertical, where the
rudder is pointing towards to the front or bow of the boat."  That's
correct.  It's surprising how much of a difference it makes.

Once I was on a close reach in about a 5 knot wind.  The sails were balanced
enough that I could let go of the tiller without locking it.  Careful to not
upset the delicate balance, I slowly moved on top of the lazarette and
pulled up on the rudder ever so slightly, thinking that I would reduce drag
and increase speed.  The boat immediately turned into a full tack.

Conversly, if your wind or motor dies and you'd like to scull along, you'll
need to set your rudder at about a 45 degree angle.  If you leave it locked
up against the stern, you won't make any headway at all.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD