[Rhodes22-list] Paul Krawitz a question on terms

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Sep 9 19:02:46 EDT 2008

Paul said, "Once I started doing this annually, the centerboard/daggerboard
never failed to drop completely during sailing season."

For benefit of rookies, the R22 is a centerboard albeit a pivoting
centerboard.  A daggerboard is like what Michael Meltzer has on his Seaward
26, that is drops straight down.  That movement a straight down drop is
similar to a dagger.

Leeboards pivot also, but outside of the main hull.

These are the difinitions I am used to, do you references for calling the
centerboard on a R22 a daggerboard?

Now both centerboards and daggerboards can be weighted with ballast or
unweighted like in a R22.

Now Stan has thrown in a wrinkle, that is the new boats use a
'diamondboard'.  It might be noted that diamondboard shaped centerboards and
round shaped centerboards can be found in old wood boats.  Maybe Stan
remembered the shape from his youth?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  "Points of sail: Traditional units of angular measurement from
the viewpoint of someone on board a sailboat. They are: Straight ahead of
you; right up there; Just a little to the right of aft; Right next to that
thing up there; Between those two things; Right back there."