[Rhodes22-list] Political - Biden on Iraq

Robert Skinner Robert at SquirrelHaven.com
Wed Sep 10 13:29:29 EDT 2008

Brad - my $0.02:

In the long term, with or without US involvement,
I think Iraq will tear itself apart.  The
constant internal feuds, combined with outside
disruptive forces from Iran, Al-Qaeda, etc.
would move the country strongly in that direction.

Sadam held Iraq together in much the way that
Stalin held Russia together (and Putin tries to
do today) - force and fear.  Absent such a
dictator, the feudal character of Iraq's history
and its current decentralizing tendencies are
sufficient to prevent a benevolent democracy and
respected central government from functioning
for any length of time - say, 15 years.

IMHO, Biden was ahead of his time.  Hope I'm
wrong.  Too many good guys bet and lost it all
on the current strategies.

/Robert