[Rhodes22-list] Rob's source of facts

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Sep 11 15:37:48 EDT 2008

Good lord Ed.  Do your own research.  Turns out Palin has her hand out
all the time, while saying quite the opposite.  She's lies over and over
again.  I really don't give a damn what you think of NPR.  I'd have to
say they are relatively fair.  Unlike you of course.  Now you want bias
and selective reports, try Faux News.

Assocatied Press any better for you? - rob

Sep 10, 8:35 PM EDT

McCain and Palin castigate the earmarks she seeks

By JENNIFER LOVEN
Associated Press Writer
AP Photo
AP Photo

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) -- Republican presidential nominee John McCain and his
running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, equated lawmakers' requests for
funding for special projects with corruption on Wednesday even though
Palin herself has requested nearly $200 million in so-called "earmarks"
this year.

Campaigning in Virginia, McCain suggested earmarks are particularly
shameful at a time when families are struggling with rising food, gas
and home mortgage costs. He vowed again to veto any bill that contains
such funding.

"I got an old ink pen, my friends, and the first pork barrel-laden
earmark, big-spending bill that comes across my desk, I will veto it.
You will know their names. I will make them famous and we'll stop this
corruption," McCain said during a rally at a park in suburban
Washington, D.C.

Palin has sought $197 million worth of earmarks for 2009, down about 25
percent from the $256 million she sought in the 2008 budget year. As
mayor of tiny Wasilla, Alaska, she hired a lobbyist to seek federal
money for special projects. Wasilla obtained 14 earmarks, totaling $27
million, between 2000-2003, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama hasn't asked for any
earmarks this year. The Illinois senator sought $311 million in such
funding last year. McCain, an Arizona senator, doesn't seek earmarks for
his state.

Undaunted by his running mate's ties to earmarks, McCain said: "I've
fought corruption, and it didn't matter if it was Democrats or
Republican, and so has Sarah Palin."

Palin said she has "championed earmark reform" as governor and "reformed
the abuses of earmarks in our state." Now, she said, she is ready to
join McCain in Washington "so we can end the corrupt practice of abusive
earmarks after all."

The practice of earmarking - lawmakers inserting special requests for
money for home-state projects in spending bills - is a longtime
anti-Washington bugaboo for politicians running for office. Many find
that, once in office, requests from constituents for help on a
particular project is too tough to resist and support bringing that kind
of money home to their states and districts.

"John McCain's idea of changing Washington is a vice-presidential
candidate who, as governor, requested more pork per person than any
other state in the country," said Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor.

Still, McCain and Palin's attack on earmarks in the face of those she
has requested joins other statements by the vice presidential nominee
that have been widely debunked:

-Palin routinely claims to have put an end to Alaska's infamous "bridge
to nowhere," even though she supported the project during her
gubernatorial campaign and turned against it only when it became a
national embarrassment and Congress threatened to cut its funding.

-Palin has claimed that she put the governor's jet on the Internet
auction site eBay, and McCain has said it was sold at a profit. However,
the jet was never sold via eBay.

-Palin says she eliminated the governor's chef from the state budget,
yet she gave the person another job in state government.