[Rhodes22-list] Boom Vang, UPS, Whisker Pole

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Sep 12 15:49:10 EDT 2008

I'm a lazy sailor and can't decide if it's worth getting a boom vang, utility
power sail (UPS), and whisker pole.

I've pretty much decided against a boom vang.  I typically sail standing
with the poptop up and will occasionally pull down on the boom, acting as my
own boom vang.  It definitely makes a difference in sail shape and speed,
but it's my understanding that the few Rhodes that have vangs can only use
them when the boom is lowered, and must connect/disconnect them each use.
For those of you who have boom vangs, can they only be used when the boom is
lowered, and how often do you use them?  Is it something that a lazy sailor
would think valuable?  To put things in perspective, I rarely use my
traveler or adjust my Genoa car position, but wouldn't want to live without
them.

I'm a daysailor and spend most of my time sailing on a close/beam reach.  I
go out with the wind and sail back to the marina with the wind.  If the wind
is less than 5 knots and I need to sail on a broad reach or run to get back
to my marina, I'd just as soon motor back.  Mary Lou and others have me
thinking that a UPS may be is worth the effort.  Rummy and others have me
thinking that a whisker pole may be worth the effort.  Do you think the
juice is worth the squeeze for a lazy sailor?

The political posts have been interesting, but I thought we might be ready
for something about sailing.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD