[Rhodes22-list] Boom Vang, UPS, Whisker Pole

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sat Sep 13 13:18:29 EDT 2008

Several years ago I bought a "pool float" ,which is a closed foam
cushion 1&1/2" thick by 24" wide x 6' long doubled over on one end to
make a pillow.When the wind dies,I put a line thru the pillow loop and
tie it off to the boat and bask in the sun awhile. When I get tired of
that,I'll grab a sponge and sit up on the float and work my way around
the boat cleaning her up a little.Then you can lay back down and reach
under the hull about 2 feet and clean up the bottom a little.
When you trailer,it's easy to keep your boat clean-you wash it when you
get home.But when you slip or moor it, that option isn't nearly as
attractive.
My favorite thing to do with the pool float is to trail it about 20 feet
behind the boat on a light wind day,using just the jib to pull it along
at 2 or 3 knots with a person with a PFD on it .You wouldn't believe
how peaceful it is laying back there with the water slowly streaming by.
Of coarse,that depends on who is holding the tiller abd jib sheet.

Jerry lowe