[Rhodes22-list] anchoring

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 20:21:21 EDT 2008

Well; what a coincidence.....anchoring is on my mind.

It seems that when Hanna was deciding where to rest her head, we decided to anchor the boats (mine & my neighbor's ) in the creek...which is a well-protected hurrricane hole.

The favored anchoring scheme is two anchors each set at about 45 deg off the bow. I have the (way too light) Danforth-style which comes with the boat & another  21lb Danforth, 200' of rode & @ 8-10' of chain.

Problem 1....how to anchor from the bow as the furling mechanism is in the way if we go out straight from the bow cleat....or have massive chafing if we run the rode outside of the bow pulpit...boat will then not be head-to-wind.....

Problem 2...this creek has a thick layer of detritus..mainly leaves...coating the bottom....the heavy Danforth would not set w/all the junk, so a new anchor is in my future.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am looking at a Delta as the CQR (my first choice) is 'way too much $$$$$.

We ended up securing one end of the boat to a forward piling and the other to a tree on shore.

elle