[Rhodes22-list] Pointing Problem

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Sep 16 19:33:50 EDT 2008

Paul,
Sorry it's taking so long to respond, but I'm just now back from vacation.
There are many factors that will affect close haul sailing. It's almost
impossible for me to correct something that I'm not actually experiencing, but I
will take a stab at it. First, make sure the topping lift has been turned loose.
 I don't remember if you stated where the sheets for the genny were?
Obviously by  bringing the sheets inside the shrouds, you will be able to sail closer
to the  wind. Also, remember that the wind coming off the genny is actually
setting up  the air as it passes over the main sail. Reducing the genny will
actually  decrease your ability to point. Are your sails new or could they
possibly be  blown out?(Saggy in the middle)  Are you sailing with a 175 and IMF?
Don't  believe the crap people spew on this list about the battened main being
that  much better than the IMF. It ain't so. Some old time sailors find it hard
to  accept modern conveniences. Do you have the battened IMF main sail?  Boat
 balance can also affect being able to point. There are two balances.
Obviously  side to side and weight distribution front to rear. Stan has told the list
 numerous times that the R22 sails better with the nose down. Where is your
crew  (ballast) positioned?
Any further information would be helpful.

Rummy

In a message dated 9/16/2008 8:14:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,