[Rhodes22-list] Pointing Problem

Paul Krawitz krawitzmail-rhodes22 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 20:28:58 EDT 2008

Thanks for your reply, Rummy.
The topping lift is limp and not suspending the boom while under sail.

I have a new boat with a new 175 IMF Genoa. But I had the same issue with my
previous Rhodes circa 1981.

I've tried the sheets on Stan's two new paths - one is inside the outer
shroud alone, the other path is inside the outer and aft shroud. The loss in
sail area doesn't make up for the theoretical smaller angle against the
wind...and I think I'm only getting another 5 degrees closer, and still well
off 45 degrees.

I'm out 30 days per season, and 25 of those are single handed. So
forward/aft live ballast is not something I can modulate very well.

Actually, I'm thinking it has more to do with the wide hull shape rather
than the sail plan.

On wide water, I'm oblivious to the fact that I'm farther off the wind than
other boats. But on my narrow harbor, the effects get accentuated when
facing a head wind. And because I sail just before sunset, I get offshore
breezes that penalize me for getting close to shore by creating headers.

Paul K
"Clarity"