[Rhodes22-list] Pointing Problem

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 06:08:42 EDT 2008

Paul,

I can get my boat to do a 90 degree tack but only under full sail with my
175 and IMF.  Actually, I usually over-shoot so it's really a 110 but the
point (pun) is I can sail 45 off the wind.  And if you're under full sail
that means the winds are light and you can take your traveler to weather so
you can get your boom on or about the center line.  And again, since it's
light air, ease the main outhaul and let the sail bag out a little.

When you reef in the jib you get a big, fat sausage on the luff of the
sail.  This upsets the flow of air across it and looses efficiency.  A jib
luff pad will help as it takes in the belly of the sail and you don't get
that sag in the middle.  Better sail shape but bigger sausage.  When the
winds require you reef in, sorry, you just won't point as high, but the luff
pad helps.  So when you have the jib sheets inboard of the shrouds you are
setting closer hauled but you're also losing efficiency because you're
reefed.  Do any boats sail better when reefed?     It's all compromise,
right?

Don't try to pinch so high that you luff trying to find that utmost highest
angle and then feather yourself back and forth.  You lose speed doing that.
Find your course and steady as she goes.  I don't have a Windex but that
migth help you to see the exact angle.  Sit (or stand) forward as you can
and be still.  The more you move about the cockpit, the more you disrupt the
balance and you lose speed.

Pop top down (mentioned before) This is a must for the highest possible
pointing.  The raised pop-top creates more windage and more healing.  Great
for party-sailing comfort but adds another 10-15 degrees to your upwind
tack.

Boom in upper or lower position depending on wind conditions.  In higher
winds, say 15+ and gusty, you'll get much better performance with the boom
down--what we affectionately refer to as "The First Reef."  This lowers the
center-of-effort and allows you to keep more sail cloth out before you have
to reef in the main.   I don't roll in the main until about 18+.  Ease your
traveler to lee and tighten up the main outhaul to flatten it out.

You're never going to point as high as those catamarans.  Fagetaboutit!  But
they'll never be as comfortable as you.  Everything on a sailboat is a
compromise.

Slim