[Rhodes22-list] Pointing Problem

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 11:33:59 EDT 2008

Lee,
With a whisker pole you could have left the full 175 genny out and really
had a ride going wing on wing.

Rummy

In a message dated 9/22/2008 11:08:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
LKUHN at cnmc.org writes:

Paul,

Don't know if this helps but on Saturday I went out  single-handed with the
winds very consistent at about 10 to 10.5  knots.

Board down, traveler centered, full main, poptop up, sheets  between inner
and outer shrouds across the deck, Genoa furled just past the  outer shroud to
about 115%.  Tiller locked in the center.  Heel  between 10 and 15 degrees.
Body weight mostly on windward seat.   Chop was only a little more than a foot.
Speed was consistent at just  above 4 knots.  Tacked and after recovery there
was a 90 degree  difference on the compass, which would be exactly 45 degrees
into the  wind.  By that calculation I could have been doing 40 degrees on
one tack  and 50 degrees on the other but it's doubtful.  Heel was slightly more
on  the starboard tack due to the weight of the motor.

I was a little  surprised that the boat would do that well with the poptop
up, boom up, and  without the sheets being ran across the poptop between the
mast and inner  shroud.  I still believe that in the right conditions the boat
will do  better than 40 degrees, although I don't know how much speed would be
lost.

Decided to complete the triangle and sail back to the marina  entrance on a
run with the wind and waves directly behind me.  Furled in  the Genoa and
released the boom so it was just touching the shrouds.  The  loose-footed main was
still pulled flat tight and the inner shroud protruded  into the sail.  Not
exactly optimal sail shape for the  point-of-sail.  Pulled up the centerboard.
Speed was about 5 knots,  but I think the waves helped a lot.  Sailing with
just the main is  certainly an easy means of sailing with the wind.  Tiller
again was  locked to the center and my weight was balanced in the center of the
boat.

Had time to do another triangle so I tried it with the exact same  conditions
but with the centerboard up.  Compass reading difference was  98 degrees and
speed picked up about 0.3 knots.  Heeled increased but  less than 5 degrees.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I hate to rate anthing a  10, so I'll give the sailing
conditions on Saturday a  9.9.

Lee