[Rhodes22-list] whiskerpole - reply to Slim

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Sep 23 19:00:03 EDT 2008

Slim:

As you recall we used to have a member of this forum, aka, Roger P.  He
strongly recommended for the 175 or even his 155 Genoa to use the heavy
weight Forespare telescoping 6-12 Spinnaker pole and not use the tiny
whisker pole.

As per his recommendations, my boat has a eye for a block about 2/3 up the
mast.  It is for holding the weight of the Spinnaker Pole.  The extra sheive
on top of the mast is used for the sail end of the pole to support the
weight of the 175 Genoa Sail.  With a couple of preventor lines this
combination holds the pole up, the sail out for light wind.  There is also a
removeable eye to attach the inner end of the pole to the mast.  Whether it
is used for Genoa or Spinnaker.  Just like the big boats.

The eye on the mast and the line thru the sheive on top of the mast allows
the pole to placed verticle against the front of the mast to get it out of
the way.

I have an old tiny sysmetrical spinnaker I bought off an old 'lightning
racer' after he sold his boat [They are 19 feet, but race boats].  The buyer
would not give him anything for the sail when he sold the boat so he kept
them and sold me one.  After several patches and many stitches I have a
small light weight spinnaker.  It works when poling the Genoa does not.  It
just takes a 2-3 mph wind to fill it out and take me home.  Slow but no iron
jenny.

Roger's point was that a good gust of wind would bend a whisker pole.
Rummy's method might require quick hands to save the pole.  He would have to
put down his drink to do it.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19638476/think%2Bpositive.gif think+positive.gif