[Rhodes22-list] whiskerpole - reply to Slim

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Sep 24 08:56:25 EDT 2008

We have the heavier Forespar pole (spring clips at both ends) which
we attach to a padeye on the mast and the sheets near the clew. We
haven't needed extra lines to control the pole. I think (it's been a
while) that it seems to work best with the sail furled slightly -
otherwise it leans on the spreaders. I think our padeye is a bit low
but the pole works ok anyway. We have track for the mast but have
never installed it. We store the pole on the pegboard in the v-berth.
It has come in handy at times but we don't use it as much as we use
the UPS for downwind work. I have scared myself using it in building
winds downwind.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD