[Rhodes22-list] Was Pointing Problem/ Now whisker pole recommendation.

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Sep 24 09:11:35 EDT 2008

Rummy, Mary Lou and other whisker users:

I went out and bought Rummy's recommended pole.  If I break it I might
consider a better pole, but I'm much more likely to lose it overboard.  I
like Rummy's idea of hooking it to a shroud instead of the mast.  I'm a
little concerned about damaging the shroud, but if Rummy's extreme
bury-the-bow sailing doesn't break anything, I doubt that my light wind runs
will.

I'll probably figure this out through trial and error, but it's easier and
safer to ask you experts.  If I'm singlehandling in light winds on a run and
want to attach the whisker pole to the 175% Genoa, do I lengthen the pole to
the desired size; then pull the Genoa clew back to the cockpit; then insert
the pole into the clew; then try to keep tension on the pole and sail while
I slowly release the sheet while walking the clamp end of the pole to the
shroud?

Even in light winds with the tiller locked, this seems a little awkward in
my mind.  An alternative would be to set the sail and try to hit the hole
with the pole from 12 feet away.  I don't think I could do that sober.

Any advice on anything related to my new toy would be helpful.  Thanks!

Lee