[Rhodes22-list] Political - Housing Market Meltdown

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:10:18 EDT 2008

Rob,

Expanding housing for low income Americans is a tough nut to crack.
I've been studying that issue for three years for the Mississippi Gulf
Coast and haven't touched a project or found a solution yet.  There's
a couple of "free" interest programs (first 5 years) out there for
builders but the federal oversight and restrictions are so onerous
that those funds are still on the shelf waiting for a builder with
bigger 'nads' to tackle. If (and that's a big if) you could build for
$70 a square foot, keep your lot costs under $20,000, and accept a
lower than standard profit margin, you might be able to build
something in the 1200-1400 square foot range at around $130,000.
Depending on how you define "low income", even that is out of range
for many people. Section 8 housing (vouchers) has moved the crime
associated with housing projects in to stable neighborhoods. Here's an
article about the experience in Memphis.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/memphis-crime

I don't know what the solution is, if you figure it out, let me know
first.  Conning people into buying houses with the idea that increased
market values will save them sure as hell didn't work out.

Brad