[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes list//WIND

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Apr 5 21:29:49 EDT 2009

For the Upper Bay my favorite wind forecast is from Aberdeen Proving Grounds.
http://www.atc.army.mil/weather/

One thing to keep in mind with the wind forecasts
is that they all use the same model data to make
their predictions. They just interpret it
differently. The Upper Chesapeake NWS forecast
comes out of the Sterling VA office and is
generally for the winds in the very middle of the
Bay. If I really care about a forecast I look at
the forecasts from Sterling and from the Mount
Holly NJ office which doesn't actually do a
forecast for the Bay but their wind forecasts for
the Eastern Shore are often different than
Sterlings forecasts for the western shore.

I find that wind forecasts aren't very good no
matter who they come from. While I pay attention
to any high wind forecasts, I usually rely on
comparing the forecasts to realtime data like how
many whitecaps I see out on the bay and current
condition reports from Thomas Pt and Tolchester.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tplm2
http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/plotcomp.shtml?station_info=8573364+Tolchester+Beach,+MD

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless