[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Line Question?????

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 14:38:41 EDT 2009

John,
The bottom of Lake Hartwell is a real nightmare. Stumps and buildings
everywhere. I would rather cut and run than try to pull an anchor from the  deep.
The Army Corps of Engineers has finally succumbed to pressure and has kept
the dam gates closed for the past four weeks. The lake has rose steadily to
where we are now 7 1/2 feet under full pool. This is the most water we've seen
in the lake in years........and I'm not complaining.

Rummy

In a message dated 4/7/2009 2:01:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jlock at relevantarts.com writes:

On Apr  7, 2009, at 13:41, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
> I need to replace my  very aged anchor line before RumRunner gets
> splashed   in
> the next couple of weeks. I have the standard GB anchor hanging  off
> the bow
> with six feet of chain. Is 3/8" line, 3,700  lb tensile strength
> strong enough.
> I'm thinking of  getting 150 feet which is more than enough for my
>  inland
> lake  sailing.

Sounds exactly like my ground tackle  on Pandion.  For lake sailing I
can't imagine you'd need more  than that.  One consideration is how you
want to manage getting  hung up on stumps or logs.  With a really stout
line you might  be able to pull free using the winch or motor (or you
might break  something trying).  Depends a lot on how clean Hartwell's
bottom was when they closed the dam.  You probably have a good idea  of
that by now ;-)

Cheers!
John  Lock