[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Line Question?????

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Apr 7 15:02:41 EDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 14:38, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
> John,
> The bottom of Lake Hartwell is a real nightmare. Stumps and buildings
> everywhere. I would rather cut and run than try to pull an anchor
> from the  deep.
> The Army Corps of Engineers has finally succumbed to pressure and
> has kept
> the dam gates closed for the past four weeks. The lake has rose
> steadily to
> where we are now 7 1/2 feet under full pool. This is the most water
> we've seen
> in the lake in years........and I'm not complaining.

Indeed, then anything larger than 3/8" is just harder to cut thru when
you get stuck.

Glad to hear the water levels are returning.  We do seem to be getting
more of a "normal" spring weather pattern this year, with rain every
few days.  If the Corp can keep the gates closed a little longer you
should be in for a fabulous summer.

FYI - I adopted your idea for storing anchor rode late last year and
like it a lot.  Got some plastic mesh baskets from Walmart that just
fit under the cockpit seats.  I can flake the rode into those casually
and it pays out nice and easy.  I clip the shackle on the edge of the
basket so it's handy.  When it's time to anchor I just walk the anchor
basket forward, attach the shackle to the anchor, cleat the tail end
to the deck and lower away.

Cheers!
John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22