[Rhodes22-list] Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compression post.

Eric Sandberg sanderico1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:10:58 EDT 2009

John,

"I understand the load on the stays increases with the reduction of
mechanical advantage."

Agreed, and your suggestion of a step up in wire size is probably a prudent
one.

"But doesn't the boat have a certain moment of inertia
which must be over come for the boat to begin heeling. Or is that factor so
low as to be meaningless in the calculation?"

All that is not really relevant to what you are talking about changing. To
picture this in a simple way, imagine a brick sitting in your driveway. Now
imagine you put a stick into one of the holes in the brick and pull on the
top of the stick until the brick tips over. Would it make any difference in
the amount of effort required if you took a string and tied it from the top
of the stick to the outside of the brick?? No ... the only thing the string
would do is help hold the stick in the same position, relative to the brick.
The only way to change the effort required for this is to 1. change the
length of the stick, which would represent changing the height of the center
of effort from the sail plan. OR, 2. change the shape or weight of the
brick, which represents the hull and it's ballast..

"Also do you have the background
to calculate how much the load would be increased over the standard
rigging?"

No, unfortunately I am "math" challenged. I am a backyard crowbar physicist.
However, if Stan should see this, I have no doubt that he would tell you
what I have said is right. He is a N/A and can do the math. Or you could ask
someone like Brion Toss who is a well known expert sail rigger.

http://www.briontoss.com/

Rik