[Rhodes22-list] new boat owner outboard question

mtroy at atlanticbb.net mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Apr 19 18:37:43 EDT 2009

I think it is highly likely that it is a 4 stroke. Ours
says 4 stroke right on the cowling. Model number should be
on it someplace. Yamaha outboard website is here:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx
(you may have to cut and paste). You can probably get a
manual from them once you know the model number. They make
several different ones so you should try to figure it out.

1. Do I need to mix oil with the gasoline?

If it is a 4 stroke, you do not need to mix oil and gas.

2. Is regular gas better than super?  Low level or medium
level octane
preferred?

We use regular gas.

3. I think this outboard comes with a fresh water flush
system and I think
it is a good idea to flush the system after each use with
a hose dock side?

Yes the fresh water flush is one of the nicest features of
the Yamahas. You flush if with the motor OFF and out of
the water. We flush ours for about 10 minutes after every
use. We killed a Honda 8 with saltwater corrosion. There
was no good way to flush the outboard on a boat left in
the slip. The new Hondas have a flush port but it is not
as accessible as the vone on the Yamaha.

4. Is it a good idea to run the engine dry, take off the
gas hose and let it
run out?

Yes. We do that every time we leave the boat for more than
a day or two. We don't do it if we are using it every day.

We also use fresh gas all the time particularly in hot
weather. We just take the tank home and use it in the lawn
mower or the car. The new gas with ethanol does not sit
well/ Some folks use stabilizer but I still hear of
problems.

Best of luck and congrats on the new boat!!!

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD