[Rhodes22-list] Hello everyone

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Apr 25 00:49:00 EDT 2009

Chris,

Pay careful attention to weather forecasts this time of year.  Rains are
predicted next week and our weather has been becoming squally fairly
quickly, lately.  Spring temperatures probably to blame.  Also, the Sound is
still fairly cool so hypothermia may still be an issue.

The tides on the north shore of LI run 7-8 feet.  We always have sailors who
get into trouble because they did not allow for such large tidal changes.
It causes strong currents in shallows and rivers, loosens anchors due to
insufficient scope and leaves boats hanging in mid air if secured to docks
at high tide without enough slack.

We also have a lot of large craft traffic in the Sound, including ferries,
Port Jefferson-Bridgeport and Orient Pt-New London, barges (mostly gravel),
tankers, freighters and cruise ships.  Pay careful attention and invest in a
radar reflector, particularly if crossing the Sound in darkness.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Chris Rossman" Friday, April 24, 2009 7:15 PM