[Rhodes22-list] Fiberglass patches on concrete?

atmcneil atmcneil at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:36:39 EDT 2009

I need opinions and advice. I'm the guy that got a 1981 from Stan a couple of
months ago that had small but steady leak. That, unfortunately was deal
breaker for my wife and she has refused to go out until I fix it. (sorry,
Stan, but a recycled Rhodes isn't in the cards just yet.)

So I went ahead and did it. I removed the center board cap and pulled the
center board up into the cabin. It is now stowed in the cockpit. In the
center board trunk I saw where the leak was coming from. There were 2
fiberglass tape patches on the inside of the trunk. I hit them with a torch
and peeled them off and the water ran freely until it stopped and the cabin
was dry. The patches looked to be pretty old and were laid just below the
slot for the CB hinge. I also put food coloring in about 4 gallons of water
and dumped that into the bilge and saw it start running after the bilge had
be dry for a day or two.

I've been reading the R22 CB and Trunk Restoration instruction that's up on
the website, but I don't believe my situation is that dire. I'm just
wondering if patching the concrete CB housing with fiberglass tape is best
way to seal the leak? How long does concrete take to dry? Should I patch
what look to be cracks around the CB housing inside the cabin? Any advice,
warnings, or anecdotes are appreciated.

Andy