[Rhodes22-list] Portable Butane Stove Question

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Mon Aug 3 10:23:38 EDT 2009

Jim,

The picture on the website you gave a link to looks just like the stove on
our Rhodes, but it's another brand (I don't recall which) and the butane
cartridge on the link looks just like the one we use.  That cartridge seems
to be fairly common to a lot of stoves.  I got spares at a pretty generic
camping supply store.  I suggest you just take the cartridge along with you
to be sure.

As for fitting it.  Ours drops into a holder and is pushed into position
when we raise a lever on the front of the stove.  I forget how it's labeled,
but it's pretty obvious.  We leave the lever down when the stove's not in
use.  This should in principle keep butane from leaking out of the
cartridge.  Basically we're trusting the push in valve on the butane
cartridge more than the burner valve on the stove.

The cartridges last quite awhile.  I put in a fresh one when we got the boat
last July along with two spares and haven't had to change it even given
three weekend long expeditions involving a fair amount of cooking and
several afternoon teas onboard.  So I'd suggest just a single spare.  Also,
call me a nervous Nellie, but I'd suggest storing the spare cartridge
outside of the cabin just in case it leaks.  Our spares are in the port side
cockpit storage "hole" up on the shelf.

Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann 1993/2008 Rhodes 22