[Rhodes22-list] conjecturing on leakage

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 11:17:00 EDT 2009

The saga continues.  It's been 36 hours since I poured a gallon of green
dyed water into the bilge and so far I have only seen a little water
come into the laz.  Not enough to tell the color.  So either it takes
time to migrate or, as a couple of people have suggested, it's coming
from underneath the cockpit floor.  So while we wait I thought I'd
entertain you with more pictures and also a question about the table leg
support in the cockpit.  Two people have indicated that they experienced
leaks under the table leg support that led to the collection of water
under the cockpit sole.  So I tried pulling the table leg support to
have a look.  I took out all the screws, but the plate seems to be glued
down really well to the floor and I hesitate to pry on it and crack the
glass.  So maybe it is not the problem.
But in the picture cockpit1.jpg I hope you can see the spider web-like
crack in the trough at the aft end of the cockpit.  Could water have
leaked through this crack to end up in the laz?
I have included a couple more photos of the cockpit drain since one
person indicated my earlier photos didn't show the problem very well.
Ideas?
I'd really like to diagnose the problem if I can before hauling the boat
all the way to Edenton only to find it was something simple that I could
have fixed like a leak around the table leg support.
Joe