[Rhodes22-list] communication leaks

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 10:24:17 EDT 2009

All,
I am reminded of the phrase "what we have here is a failure to
communicate" and also Sir Francis Bacon's discussion of pitfalls in
communication.

I "think" I have resolved my question for the moment.  My concern was
that I didn't understand why water should be seeping out at the BASE of
the through hull fitting in the lazarette.  I wasn't trying to find out
specifically where water was getting into the boat originally.  I was
trying to get an answer to why it was seeping at the base of the through
hull (he said redundantly, once more).

What many folks including Stan missed was my remark that the boat was
sitting on a hill with the stern downhill.  I should have shown a
picture of the boat, but didn't.  In the pictures of the laz, I should
have indicated with an arrow the direction of water flow towards the
stern.  But I didn't.  Comments about it not being possible for water to
flow from the bilge to the laz made me search in other directions which
lead to serious concerns about the cockpit floor.  What was missed was
the fact that the boat is sitting on a hill.  So it IS possible for
water to flow from the bilge to the laz with the stern downhill.  It
just takes its own sweet time about it.  The bilge does communicate with
the lazarette and other regions of the boat.  This gives one a common
place to sponge up water acquired via any kind of leak, above or below
the waterline.  But the boat must be level or nearly so for gravity to
do its thing.

After talking with Stan I have learned that there is probably nothing
abnormal about my situation.  I still think it is screwy that water
should seep from where it seeps.  Unless the boat has its nose in the
air, like it does now, you'd never see this.  If the water was seeping
from an intentional orifice in the laz, I would never have been
worried.  As it is, it is possibly because the fiberglass tabbing of the
cockpit to the laz floor didn't take just in that one spot.

In the course of investigation, though, I did find 4 of the 8 screws
holding the table leg flange were stripped.  So I will be repairing
that.  But the flange is glued securely to the floor anyhow.  As one
person pointed out, this does not mean that water doesn't get in under
that flange.  So when I have some time, I'll level the boat and fill the
cockpit up and see what happens.
Hope all this makes sense.
Joe