[Rhodes22-list] Another ethanol-related failure point

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Aug 13 17:20:22 EDT 2009

John,

Sounds like you identified another problem area for ethanol fuel.  The exact
problem that you discuss has been plaguing the classic car (60s & 70s)
folks.  Many of the old GM cars (GTOs, 442s, etc.) that used a Rochester
quadrajet carb had the same problem when run on E10 fuel.  The problem was
traced to a rubber tipped inlet needle valve and a black rubber accelerator
pump cup.  The solution was to replace the needle valve with a Viton tipped
product (easy to identify, Viton is shiny, rubber is dull) and the
accelerator pump with neoprene (usually blue).  Some folks say they solved
the problem by adding Marvel Mystery Oil in the ethanol gas blend.  It's an
interesting fix if it works.  Maybe that's why my old Suzuki 2-cycle is so
reliable, even on ethanol fuel.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY