[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Recommendations

Daniel Johnson djohnson0671 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 20:24:04 EDT 2009

I know that we have discussed to death the ethanol fuel problems and in
particular the Yamaha 9.9 issues - and I don't want to rehash them.
However, I am looking for concrete recommendations for a new outboard for
our Rhodes.

We bought an '83 (recycled by Stan in '08) and got the Yamaha 9.9 with the
boat.  It has been nothing but unreliable.  Now after putting about $800
into repair bills in the last 2 years, I've decided to just let it sink, or
go wherever old outboards go and buy a new one.  The unreliability of the
motor has made our Rhodes a very fancy raft with a very nice view from our
slip.

My ideal motor I don't think exists - electric start, 6-8 hp, and weighing
about 75 lbs or less.  So what are the best options out there from you
folks' perspectives?  The boat is in a slip on the Chesapeake (Solomons);
while I obviously would prefer to be sailing, we need an engine to get in
and out of the slip and to get home reliably when the wind fails.

Thanks for any and all recommendations, real-world expierences, etc.  I'd
like to buy one this fall before the season comes to a close.

Dan Johnson