[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Recommendations

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Aug 17 08:37:27 EDT 2009

Daniel,
We have a Yamaha 8 HT. New 2 years ago. No problems so far with
fairly light use. We run it out of gas each time, replace the fuel if
it is more than a couple of weeks old and flush the motor every use
unless we are out overnight or on a cruise.

Our old Honda (which was only 10 years old) died of salt blocking all
of the cooling passageways with considerable corrosion. We kept the
boat in a slip for 8 of those years and the Honda was not convenient
to flush when it was in the slip. We chose the Yamaha because it was
so convenient to flush.

I'm curious to know how many of those recommending Tohatsu's keep
their boats in a salt-water slip. Do they flush it after every use or
are the Tohatsu's less prone to salt-water corrosion?

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD