[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Q: how many folks singlehand a R22 with 15+knot winds?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Aug 22 01:41:04 EDT 2009

Lou,

I think the Beaufort scale describes a "gentle breeze" as about 12 to 19
knots with waves beginning to crest and with scattered whitecaps.  That
might be true in the middle of the ocean but I've seen whitecaps in 8 knot
winds where I sail.  Whitecaps are a good sign for me to think about
lowering the boom or reefing the main.

I never go out anymore if the wind is above 20 knots and anything above 15
knots usually creates enough chop that it's more work than fun.  Furling in
high winds by myself is still more of a challenge for me than sailing,
especially if I wait too long and have too much sail out.  The more I sail
the less sail I use.  I rarely heel the boat much more than 15 degrees
unless I'm surprised by a gust.

This week I was in a 9 knot wind with no waves (less than 6").  I don't ever
remember sailing so easy in that much wind.  It makes me jealous of you
sailors who don't constantly deal with tides and currents and lots of power
yacht traffic.

I'm getting up in about 4 hours to see what Hurricane Bill is doing to my
boat at high tide.  Hopefully she'll still be there.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD