[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Q: how many folks singlehand a R22 with15+knot winds? Ron

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Aug 25 09:55:23 EDT 2009

Jerry,

I've never given much thought to what stops my mainsail from going further
into the mast.  I guess I assumed it was the thickness of the UV protector
or the vertical batten.  By stopper knot are you referring to the knot at
the end of the boom or the loop at the end of the outhaul?  It seems like
the loop at the end of the outhaul would be the thing that would need
adjusting to prevent the mainsail from going further into the mast.

Here's a picture of Mike's set-up which is similar to mine:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p25134726/Mike%2Bon%2BMuireann.jpg
Mike+on+Muireann.jpg

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD

Ron,
 One thing I noticed just now ,your mainsail foot is an inch to two inches
closer to the boom than mine.My sail is over two years old,and if I
remember right,the luff has rope that fits into a grove in the furling
tube,and a tab sewed to the top and bottom of the sail. Those tabs are
streched tight to put tension on the luff and then screwed to the furling
tube.If you take your mast down to check things out,take a close look at
the top tab to make sure that there isn't any streching,tearing or
missing screw in the tab.I hope I attached a pic of my sail,you should be
able to see how far in I furl.The furling stops because the stopper knot
on the out hual runs out of travel,not because the sail won't go farther
in the mast. The angle of the boom make it hard to see,but I think my
sail rides higher on the furling tube than yours.